Link to pdf version for better quality viewing:
UpSkill was a task set by my tutors to teach a skill within a document so everyone can contribute towards the overall class. It was something at first I wasn’t entirely interested in but then I realised how much it related to me wanting to teach. For me, this seems like a step in the right direction and allow me to gain further insight into how I should articulate myself and what information is necessary.
For me, this seems like a step in the right direction and allow me to gain further insight into how I should articulate myself and what information is necessary. I was pondering for ages on the format, thinking of making it in either google docs or slideshow. But then I thought I could create a cleaner more professional layout that will allow me to have more control over how I place images and text. With this task, I went through a lot of trial and error. I asked two people on my table and two tutors as they have varying amounts of knowledge on painting, photoshop, dry brush etc. I asked all four if it had:
- Easy to follow
- Made sense
- Clear spacing between each piece of text
- Breathing space for imagery
- Self-explanatory introduction
- Too little or too much information
- Image Size
- Image to text ratio
- Boldening of text
All of these were aspects that I got my peers and tutors to review to make sure that my UpSkill was “usable”. Taking in all the criticism has really helped to shape both my graphic design skills in how to make decisions and how to articulate myself. As this will be something I will be exercising these skills when I run a workshop on the “Fundamentals of Concept Art” for first years.